Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Thursday? It can't be! It's too gruesome!

This year was my year to plan Valentine's Day. I'll admit that I wasn't up to the task this year for some reason.

For those interested, we went out to dinner at Cuba Libre (do!) and then came home to snuggle up and watch a movie neither of us had seen before - Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Now, Valentine's Day is neither here nor there. What we're going to focus on is how Breakfast at Tiffany's completely baffles me. Don't even ask me why articles such as this one tell me to watch it on Valentine's Day.

Why is this a classic movie? I don't get it?

Before you get all up in arms, I understand that Audrey Hepburn is gorgeous. And that she was a screen legend. And that she was a humanitarian. I get it.



What I do not understand is why people would sing praises to this movie.

Spoiler Alert!

Audrey Hepburn plays a flighty woman who cannot manage her money and hopes to win over a sugar daddy with her beautiful flighty-ness. And while she's trying to win over the richest men in New York (or even the world!), she breaks the law by passing messages from a mobster in prison to his man on the outside, but does she know it? Nope. Because not only is she flighty and bad with money, she plays dumb real well (ALL FOR THE SAKE OF MONEY THOUGH! NO WORRIES!).

Just on her way to prison to get the local weather.
Let's get to the "romance." And I'm not just talking about the sugar daddys. Early on, she meets a writer - Paul. And you know how she wins his heart? She tells him he reminds her of her brother, Fred, proceeds to call him Fred through the entire movie, climbs into his window when he's sleeping, jumps into his bed with him on day 1 or 2 of meeting him (all platonic, friends - this was the 60s after all), and tells him she is only interested in men with money. I don't know about you guys, but the sure way to my heart is sneak into my bedroom window, jump into bed with me, and call me by your brother's name. Sure.

But don't worry. They fall in love. Because beauty outranks all, my friends.

Am I wrong?

You know who the hero is in this movie?

The cat. The no-name cat. He's the only one who doesn't care that Audrey is beautiful. He just wants her to feed him.


4 comments:

  1. But...but...Audrey Hepburn is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands down the reason I watch this movie is because of 'Moon River' which my mom would always sing when I was growing up. Otherwise I don't think I would have purchased this movie, or would have even watched it without her influence. That aside, this is actually one of my favorite movies of all time because of how ridiculous it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny. I have never seen the movie but now I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You probably already figured this out but I love this movie for it's underlying message: she is lost and is trying to find happiness in all the wrong places, she is the no-name cat! But Paul, he reminds her of who she is (yes the brother thing is weird but also symbolic for coming home) and she realizes that true happiness isn't found through wealth but through a happy relationship with Paul! Okay, my 2 cents. I hated the movie the first time I watched it too but have since grown to love it's quirkiness :)

    ReplyDelete